Ausangate Trek + Rainbow Mountain 3 Days / 2 Nights
Ausangate Trek + Rainbow Mountain 3 Days / 2 Nights, is one of the crown jewels that we offer and is one of the best treks in the Andes. This isn’t a trek for all, but those who want to get off the beaten path will find this an experience of a lifetime. We will cross 4 different mountain passes, experience diverse landscapes, enter remote Andean culture and see an unforgettable night sky. Of course, we will also experience the breathtaking Rainbow Mountain and Red Mountain valleys- one of the most beautiful and timeless, natural landscapes in all South America and the world. Come explore the Andes with us!
Ausangate Trek 3 day Feel the pulse of snow-clad mountains and the Rainbow Mountains on this 3 day hiking through one of Peru’s most timeless and wilderness regions.
- Duration: 3 days / 2 nights – camping
- Distance: 42km/ 26.09 miles
- Elevation: 4200m (13,779ft) – 5080m (16,666ft)
- Difficulty: moderate/difficult
By booking Ausangate Trek + Rainbow Mountain 3 Days / 2 Nights with Cusco Journeys you are choosing the best. Don’t believe us? Check out our reviews on Tripadvisor.
You will have an in-depth briefing with your guide 1 or 2 days before your trek. Your guide will meet you at your hotel and you can take this opportunity to ask questions and make any final preparations.
Day 1. Cusco – Upis – Puca Cocha:
We will pick you up from your hotel at 5:00AM to begin this amazing expedition. You will have private transportation to the trailhead at Upis. Upis is an small Andean village located near Ocongate at 3900 m/12795 ft above sea level. It is here you will meet your horsemen and horses. You will enjoy your first breakfast prepared by our trekking chef. After you will have wonderful views of the Ausangate glacier peaks since you will be hiking very nearby. You will also have amazing views of the lakes and waterfalls – perhaps see some llamas, alpacas and wild vicuñas (the undomesticated ancestor of the alpaca) as well as condors soaring above. We will have a 3 hour uphill hike to reach the first pass which is at 5000m/16404 ft. where you will have magnificent views of the surrounding area. Perhaps in some months of the year we will have some snow hikes, but mostly in dry season you always get great views. Likely you will get to see vicuñas, which are the most impressive animals still living wild in Peru and belong to the family of Andean camelids. Their fleece is the most expensive wool today the world over. After taking a few amazing pictures we will continue on to our lunch spot, with a gradual downhill hike for another 1½ hours to a beautifull area where you will enjoy your second day’s lunch. It will be another 2½ hour hike to arrive at our campsite at Puca Ccocha (Red Lake). This campsite is one of the most beautiful campsites located at the skirt of the Ausangate peak and at the bank of the lake. You can see amazing sunsets from here and perhaps some condors and eagles flying nearby.
- Walked distance: 12 km /7 ½ milesCampsite elevation: 4300 m / 14,100 ft
- Meals: breakfast, lunch, dinner, sna
- cks, drinking wáter
- Weather: dry / cold
Day 2. Puca Cocha – Chillca – Yana Cocha:
After an early breakfast we will start with a 2-3 hour steep climb to Alpaca Pass at 5100 m/ 16732 ft elevation. Along the way you will always have gorgeous views of the blue lakes and the majestic views of Ausangate Glacier Peak surrounding you. You can even sometimes see avalanches in process happening from the glacial hills with ice crashing into the lakes below. Once you reach the summit of this mountain, you will be located right in front of Ausangate and you can really enjoy the Chilca Valley, with many alpaca grazing along these hills. Honestly, it is so impressive to be right at this point – at times you have the feeling that you are in The Kilimanjaro Trails in Africa! After taking some great pictures you will continue for another 2 hours gradual downhill trek – in some sections the trail is still a bit difficult to see – and then we reach our lunch spot, located in Chilca Valley. The views are always amazing of the waterfalls, the green hills and snow-capped peaks located far away, on top of the mountains. After enjoying your lunch and a little siesta, you will continue on to the second pass of the day, Vicuña pass at 5300m/17388 ft elevation. It will be 1½ hour slow pace to reach the summit of this highest pass of the trek. Along the way it is possible to see some condors, and vicuñas if we are lucky enough. Once we are on top of the mountain we will enjoy a cup or two of traditional coca tea which will be provided by your porters. Then it will be another 1 hour downhill hike to arrive to our campsite at the banks of yanacocha lake where you will enjoy our famous daily happy hour of hot drinks. This campsite is located few hours away from our final destination which is The Rainbow Mountains!
This is a perfect place at night to spot the famous Inka constellations and do some stargazing!
- Walked distance: 15 km/9.3 miles
- Campsite elevation 4400 m/ 14,435 ft
- Meals: breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, drinking water
- Weather: Dry / cold.
Day 3. Yana Cocha – Rainbow Mountain – Quesiuno – Cusco:
After an early final breakfast with your trekking team and enjoying the famous traditional warm drinks such as coca tea, it will be about 1½ hours gradual uphill trek until we reach the famous rainbow mountain and the Red Mountain Valley located at 5200 m /17060 ft elevation. Your guide will walk you to the best spots to get the perfect postcard pictures of these incredible mountain and the other surrounding mountains. Your guide also will explain why these mountain are special and really are something quite different from any other mountains in the Vilcanota Range. This is due to a composition of various minerals which make different colors of stone striations formed right in the middle of the red mountains. This is definitely one of the key tourist highlights in South America and one of the most beautiful natural attractions in Peru. There is nothing else like it!
After taking your photos and enjoying the views which you have come so far to see, you will continue the expedition to the end of the trail. This is all downhill along the Quesiuno Valley for about 3 hours where you will enjoy your final lunch with your team. We will then drive back to Cusco – about 3 hour max drive and we will drop you off at your hotel. The drive itself provides really nice views of the Andes, passing some traditional villages along the way. You will be arriving into Cusco around 4 PM.
- Walked distance: 12 km /7 ½ miles
- Meals: breakfast, lunch, snacks, drinking wáter
- Weather: dry / cold.
Note: This itinerary is subject to change without prior notice according to weather conditions, strikes, roadblocks, or other events which are beyond our control. We will always do our best to follow the itinerary as closely as possible.
Machu Picchu Extensions:
Rainbow Mountain and Ausangate treks do not include a final day at Machu Picchu. However, Cusco Journeys offers several Machu Picchu extensions that can be added either before or after your trek.
Our Machu Picchu Tour is an excellent way to relax in comfort after a beautiful yet challenging multi-day trek.
The Machu Picchu and Moray-Salt mine extension combines authentic, off the beaten path experiences along with a visit to Peru’s wonder of the world.
The Machu Picchu and Sacred Valley extension fits all the highlights of the area in a few quick days.
The Machu Picchu and Short inca trail 2 Days / 1 Night extension fits all the highlights of the area in a few quick days.
Customize Your Trip:
We provide package pricing for any Rainbow Mountain + Machu Picchu combo trip. Please inquire about additional packages if you do not see your desired package listed above.
*Pricing contingent on a minimum of two people
**Group pricing available for 4+ guests- please inquire
***Solo travelers can be matched with existing groups
- Information from your guide the two night before your departure.
- Pick up from your hotel on your departure.
- Private transportation with a nice views to Upis ( trail head )
- The first breakfast on the way, at the beginning of the trek.
- English speaking tour guide.
- One professional chef who will prepare delicious food.
- The chef’s assistance and some porters.
- Horse men and their assistants.
- Horses to carry all hiking gear such as, tents, food, gas, your bags etc.
- 4 man tents per pair (very comfortable)
- Three main course meals per day (very nutritional) including a happy hour every evening (tea time)
- Kitchen tent, dining tent, table, chairs and a gas lamp to enjoy the evenings.
- Boiled water is provided in the morning, at lunch time, tea time, and dinner time, there is even hot water to keep your bed warm.
- Extra warm water for washing proposes every meal time.
- First aid kit including emergency oxygen bottle.
- Bonfire in some nights with hot wine sangria.
- Foam mat
- Vegetarian/special diet options available
- 7 kl (14 pounds) of your stuff included in the price for that we provided to you a duffle bag the night before of your departure.
- Some help for the local people and the kids.
- Local transportation to cicuani and back to Cusco
- Taxes included
- First Breakfast and last dinner
- Sleeping bag
- Water on Day 1, just half day
- Energy snacks which can very useful such as chocolate and granola bars and dried fruits
- Energy snacks which can very useful such as chocolate and granola bars and dried fruits
- Spending money – allow approximately US$ 35-50 per day to cover meals, snacks, drinks, limited souvenirs, tips and any extras
- Sleeping bag and breakfast on the first day
- ** Tips for horse men, cooks or guides
What we recommend that you bring
- A backpack with a change of clothes for the whole period of the trek
- Rain gear (jacket and pants if available) or rain poncho (plastic ponchos can be purchased in Cusco)
- Strong footwear, waterproof trekking boots recommended
- Sandals or jogging shoes for a higher comfort while at camp
- Warm clothes, including jacket, fleeces. Thermal clothing is also recommended, especially for sleeping. A down jacket is especially recommended for this trek since it runs at high altitude and temperatures may easily drop below freezing in the evening and at nights
- Flashlight/headlamp and batteries
- Camera and batteries (batteries consume more quickly under cold conditions)
- Hat or cap to protect you from the sun, rain and cold
- Sun block
- After-sun cream or hydrating cream for face and body
- Toilet paper
- Snacks: biscuits, energy bars, chocolate, raw fruits, muesli, etc. Please note that we do provide a daily morning snack and our meal service is very complete and well supplied. This recommendation applies for all clients being used to a specific snack, as it may happen that it is not included in our selection
- Water container and water for the first morning
- Optionally: water- sterilizing tablets in case you pick up water from streams or rivers along the route.
- Otherwise, we provide filtered boiled water, which is safe to drink and has not reported any health problem so far
- Small towel
- Swimsuit (if you wish take a dip at the hot springs along the route)
- Cash in soles and/or US$
- Copy of original passport
- Optional: walking sticks or poles
Permits are needed for your chosen start date. Tour prices are based on the number of people in a group. Prices are valid from March 2019 through January 2020. All prices quoted are $USD
Price: $429 per person
* We need a minimum of 3 people to run the tour. We guarantee that your tour will be limited to a maximum of 8 people.
Important: Price includes up to 8 kilos of your personal belongings to be carried by the mules (NO need of extra Porter hire!).
- Hiking poles – US$20.00
- Sleeping bag – US$20.00
- Sleeping bag Deluxe Package (+ Pillow & Liners) US$35.00
- Private Tent – US$30.00
Terms & Conditions
1.- Contract between the Client and Cusco Journeys & Adventures
- To secure a booking with Cusco Journeys & Adventures, the Client must deposit 30% of the entire price of the trip (minimum US$200). All flights (domestic and international) and UpGrades must be paid 100% in advance to secure spaces. The deposit is non-refundable. Clients booking by telephone, fax or email will be deemed to have read the booking conditions.
- A booking is accepted and becomes definite from the date Cusco Journeys & Adventures has received the deposit from the Client. It is at this point that a binding contract between Cusco Journeys & Adventures, LLC, and the Client comes into existence.
- The contract is made between Cusco Journeys & Adventures, LLC, and the Client, which includes all persons named on the booking form. The person signing the booking form warrants that he/she has full authority on behalf of all the persons whose names appear thereon and confirms that all such persons are fully aware of and accept these conditions.
- The balance of the amount due must be paid to Cusco Journeys & Adventures no later than 30 days before departure. In case of non-payment of the balance by the due date, Cusco Journeys & Adventures will treat the booking as cancelled by the Client.
- In the case of bookings made within 30 days of the departure date, the full amount of package price will be paid upon booking.
- Payment can either be made by wire transfer, direct deposit, or check. In case of a bank transfer, all wiring and transfer costs should be assumed by the Client.
- All prices are United States of America Dollar based.
- Our prices do not include Peruvian sales taxes. Those exempt from paying this tax must meet the legal standards. For an exemption from the IGV (General Sales Tax) the visitor (guest) must prove he or she meets the international treaty standards honored in Peru by showing a passport, driver’s license or national identity card. Please note that visitors who have stayed in Peru longer than 90 calendar days are no longer exempt from IGV (General Sales Tax). Please make sure that your identity documents are legible and note that the TAM (Andina Migration Card) cannot substitute a passport.
3.- Changes by the Client
Any changes to the original booking must be confirmed by the person signing the booking form. For any change by the Client to the itinerary after receiving a confirmed Travel Program from Cusco Journeys & Adventures, a US$50 changing fee will be charged plus any costs or charges which are incurred or levied by our suppliers as a result of the amendment. While every reasonable effort will be made to accommodate changes and additional requests, their availability cannot be guaranteed.
Services can be transferred from one client to another as long as there is availability and the providers’ conditions allow it.
4.- Substitution of Client
If any member of your party is prevented from traveling, it may be possible to transfer the booking to another suitable person, provided that written notice is given at least 30 days prior to departure. An administration fee of US$50 will be levied plus any costs imposed by Cusco Journeys & Adventures suppliers. In the case of certain tickets such as those for Machupicchu Site, Huayna Picchu mountain or for the Inca Trail, these must be purchased again as they cannot be transferred, then we need see the availability.
5.- Cancellation by the Client
The Client may cancel the booking at any time provided that the cancellation is communicated to Cusco Journeys & Adventures in writing. Deposit paid to reserve trip is non-refundable. Payments for flights, cruises, Machupicchu site, Inca Trail Trek and Train Tickets bookings are non-refundable due to airline, Peruvian goverment and operator policies. All other reservations cancelled less than 45 days prior to the departure date of the tour are subject to the following cancellation fees:
Period Before Departure When Notification Is Received
Cancellation Fee As A Percentage Of The Refundable Services Price
|8 Days or Less||100%|
In case part of a booking is cancelled, the remaining party may have to pay additional charges (e.g. under-occupancy, or single room supplements). In case of trip postponement, an administration fee of 15% of the trip price will be charged plus the amount already spent on non-refundable subcontracted services. The remaining amount may be used toward future travel with Cusco Journeys & Adventures.
6.- Changes and Cancellation by Cusco Journeys & Adventures
While Cusco Journeys & Adventures will use its best endeavors to operate all tours as advertised, by entering into this contract the Client accepts that it may prove necessary or advisable to vary or modify a tour itinerary or its contents due to prevailing local conditions. Cusco Journeys & Adventures reserves the right to cancel or change any of the facilities, services or prices (including flights, accommodation or other arrangements) at any time and to substitute alternative arrangements of comparable monetary value without compensation and accepts no liability for loss of enjoyment as a result of these changes.
If a major change is known to us at the time of the booking, the Client will be informed immediately. A major changed is defined as a change affecting at least one in three full tour days of the itinerary, or which materially affects the character of the Product in its entirety. If a major change becomes necessary after booking, Cusco Journeys & Adventures will inform the Clients as soon as reasonably possible.
When a major change is made, the Client will have the choice to accept the change of arrangements, to purchase any other available tour or to cancel the tour and obtain a full refund. This is providing that the major change is not because of force majeure.
Force majeure is war, threat of war, riots, civil strife, industrial dispute, terrorist activities, natural or nuclear disaster, fire or adverse weather conditions, technical or maintenance problems with transport, changes imposed by cancellation or rescheduling of flights by an airline, the alteration of airline or aircraft type, or other similar events beyond the control of Cusco Journeys & Adventures.
Cusco Journeys & Adventures is not liable for any charges in the event of a change – beyond their control – to the departure time or date of a tour, flight or other form of transport.
Should any price increase, Cusco Journeys & Adventures will absorb the price increase if the price increase is less than 5% of the total package price. If the increase is more than 5%, the client will be surcharged the difference.
8.- Passport, Visa and Vaccinations
It is the responsibility of the Client to be in possession of a valid passport, visa permits, inoculations and preventative medicines as may be required by the authorities of the visited countries for the duration of the tour. Information about these matters or related items is given in good faith but without responsibility on the part of Cusco Journeys & Adventures.
9.- Age, Fitness and Participation
All Clients are expected to assess that their physical fitness aligns with the requirements of the itinerary of their choosing prior to booking. Travelers with pre-existing medical conditions are advised to check with a healthcare professional before traveling on the chosen itinerary. No unaccompanied minors (those under 18 years of age) can be accepted on tours operated by Cusco Journeys & Adventures, however older teenagers may be considered provided they are accompanied by a parent or guardian who accepts full responsibility for the minor. Cusco Journeys & Adventures reserves the absolute right to decline a booking at their discretion. Clients agree to accept the authority and decisions of the employees of Cusco Journeys & Adventures, tour leaders and agents, while on the tour with Cusco Journeys & Adventures. If, in the opinion of such persons, the health or conduct of a Client before or after departure appears likely to endanger the safe, comfortable or happy progress of a tour, the Client may be excluded from all or part of the tour. In case of ill health Cusco Journeys & Adventures may make such arrangements as it sees fit and recover the costs thereof from the Client.
10.- Local laws
All participants in tours operated by Cusco Journeys & Adventures are expected to obey the laws and regulations of the countries visited and any failure to do so will relieve Cusco Journeys & Adventures of all obligations that they may otherwise have under these booking conditions.
11.- Illness or disability
Anyone suffering from illness or disability or undergoing treatment for any physical or medical condition must declare the true nature of such condition at the time of booking and arrange for the provision of any medication or other treatment which may be required during the tour. Failure to make such disclosure will constitute a breach of these booking conditions and result in such persons being excluded from the tour in which case all monies paid will be forfeit.
If the chosen holiday includes a cruise or excursion or transfer by boat of any sort, the Client must make it known at the time of booking if he/she is unable to swim. This will not prevent the Client from participating in the tour but will enable Cusco Journeys & Adventures to take additional precautions for the safety of the Client at such times as may be appropriate.
12.- Client has a Complaint
If the Client has a complaint about any of the tour arrangements, he/she must bring it to the attention of the tour leader or other representative of Cusco Journeys & Adventures at the appropriate time so that they may use their best endeavors to rectify the situation. It is only if Cusco Journeys & Adventures is made aware of any problems that there will be the opportunity to put things right. Making your complaint known to Cusco Journeys & Adventures as a problem arises during your trip will allow us to remedy the situation or facilitate compensation. Should the problem remain unsolved, a complaint must be made in writing to Cusco Journeys & Adventures within 28 days of the completion of the holiday.
13.- Flight Bookings
Cusco Journeys & Adventures will use its best endeavors to ensure that all flight prices are correct at the time that they are quoted. Airlines reserve the right to amend or withdraw fares without prior notice. Once a deposit is paid on an airfare, it guarantees that a booking is being held for you, but it DOES NOT GUARANTEE the fare. The fare can only be guaranteed when the flight booking has been paid in full and a ticket has been issued. Flight bookings cannot be transferred.
The flight times given by Cusco Journeys & Adventures are for general guidance only and are subject to change. Up-to-date flight times will be shown on the tickets. The Client must check the tickets very carefully immediately upon reception of the latest timings. Cusco Journeys & Adventures will endeavor to inform the Client as soon as possible in the event of any flight alteration. Details of airlines are also subject to change. Such alterations do not constitute a significant change to the trip arrangements and will therefore not be entitled to cancel without paying the normal charges as a result.
Cusco Journeys & Adventures cannot be held responsible for any delay to your flight whether this delay is caused by adverse weather conditions, the action of air traffic controllers, airport authorities or (local) governments, the rescheduling of flight times by the airline, mechanical breakdown, strike, industrial action or any other reason.
14.- Our responsibility
Cusco Journeys & Adventures cannot guarantee the accuracy of any hotel, resort or other leaflet which is not published by them but may be supplied as an additional service to the Client.
Cusco Journeys & Adventures accepts responsibility for ensuring that the vacation which the Client books with them is supplied as described in the final version of the travel program the Client will receive upon arrival and for ensuring that the services reach a reasonable standard.
Cusco Journeys & Adventures acts only in the capacity of an agent upon the legal conditions that, while exercising every possible precaution, it is not responsible for injury, illness, damage, loss, additional expenses, accidental delay, or other irregularities which may be caused either through willful or negligent acts or omissions made by the companies or individuals providing or engaged in transportation, accommodation or other services related to the accomplishment of the tour, or through natural disasters, social upheavals or other causes.