Extra Hikes and Things to do in Machu Picchu after the Guided Tour!
Enjoy the strategic location of the Inka Citadel of Machu Picchu and the surrounding lush canyon from the different angle view points like: the Huayna Picchu Mt, Sun Gate, Machu Picchu Mt, Llactapata Inca ruins, Putukusi Mt and the Inca bridge section……
Those who are doing the Inca Trail will see Machu Picchu for the first time from the Sun Gate, which is one of the highlights of why people are choosing the Inca Trail hike. Those doing the Alternative treks arrive to Machu Picchu at Aguas Calientes, stay a night in a hotel and take the bus to Machu Picchu at 5:30am to enjoy the sunrise.
Please have a look at the optional hikes and things to do at Machu Picchu provided below;
Huayna Picchu Mountain
Huayna Picchu which translated from Quechua means Young Mountain is located at 2,667m/8,750ft above sea level and is apart of the Andean foothills. Huayna Picchu is well known for being part of the vast majority of the panoramic photos of Machu Picchu. On Huayna Picchu you may see some archaeological sites, including the Temple of the Moon built in a natural cave. At the top of Huayna Picchu there are small terraces and some buildings that were a part of an astronomical observatory and is a point of guardianship to the citadel.
Are The Entrance Tickets Limited?
Yes! Its limited to 400 hikers a day, so you will need to plan early to book the extra hike. At least 2 to 3 months in advance. We will purchase the permit for you with your trek if entrance tickets are available.
Schedules for hiking up to Huayna Picchu:
- First schedule: 7 – 8 AM
- Second schedule: 10 – 11 AM
***This is the time you start the hike. It takes approximately 45 minutes to reach the top, take some photos and 45 minutes down.
The price for Huayna Picchu depends on which trek or tour you choose!
- For hikers trekking all of the Inca Trails to Machu Picchu: US$75 per person
- Alternative treks to Machu Picchu: US$75 per person
- Tours to Machu Picchu: US$75 per person
Why Huaynapicchu Costs More with the Inca Trail!
- When we buy the permit for the Inca Trail trek, we have to buy a Machu Picchu entrance with it. The government only sells the Inca Trail permits as a combined ticket with Machu Picchu entrance. It does not allow us to add on Huaynapicchu entrance with the combined permit.
- In order for our Inca Trail hikers to climb Huaynapicchu, we have to buy another entrance ticket to Machu Picchu combined with the Huaynapicchu entrance ticket. It is not possible to buy just a Huaynapicchu entrance ticket by itself!
- Salkantay Treks/Lares Treks and other alternative treks do not need an Inca Trail permit, thus we can just buy a Machu Picchu entrance combined with the Huaynapicchu entrance together. Thus it is less expensive!