Machu Picchu Mountain
Extra Hikes and Things to do in Machu Picchu after the Guided Tour!
Enjoy the strategic location of the Inka Citadel of Machu Picchu and the surrounding lush canyon from the different angle view points like: the Huayna Picchu Mt, Sun Gate, Machu Picchu Mt, Llactapata Inca ruins, Putukusi Mt and the Inca bridge section……
Those who are doing the Inca Trail will see Machu Picchu for the first time from the Sun Gate, which is one of the highlights of why people are choosing the Inca Trail hike. Those doing the Alternative treks arrive to Machu Picchu at Aguas Calientes, stay a night in a hotel and take the bus to Machu Picchu at 5:30am to enjoy the sunrise.
Please have a look at the optional hikes and things to do at Machu Picchu provided below:
Machu Picchu Mountain
Machu Picchu mountain rises more than 652m/2,139ft above the Sacred City of Machu Picchu and is located 3,082 meters above sea level. It offers some breath taking views of Machu Picchu, a uniqueness like no other place in the world. It is seated at the base of the Inca City of Machu Picchu. Thousands are drawn everyday, by the ornate energy emanating from the earth at Machu Picch, which is considered sacred to the Inca civilization. Machu Picchu Mountain’s summit was used by Inca priests to perform rituals on special dates and is a place of worship of the Apu Salkantay.
How Long It Takes?
The rise time depends on the physical condition of the individual, and can range from 2-3 hours (round-trip). From the top you can admire the amazing canyon formed by the slope of the Vilcanota, with green mountains on one side, and on the other, the mountains of the Cordillera Vilcabamba, the snowy summit of Salkantay (6,271 m) among others. Conglomerate which forms the habitat of species such as the spectacled bear, the cock of the rock (endangered) and other fauna.
The ascent to the Mountain Machu Picchu is considered a moderate in difficulty, not to be a challenging hike. Is required, an acceptable physical condition. During the rainy season, the road can be very slippery, making the ascent most difficult.
Schedules for hiking up to Machu Picchu Mountain:
- First schedule: from 7 – 8AM
- Second schedule: from 10 -11AM.
***This is when you need to start the hike. It takes approximately 1:30 minutes to the top, snap some photos, and then another 1 hour down.
The price for Machu Picchu Mountain depends on which trek or tour you choose!
- For hikers trekking all of the Inca Trails to Machu Picchu: US$75 per person
- Alternative treks to Machu Picchu: US$75 per person
- Tours to Machu Picchu: US$75 per person
Why Machu Picchu Mountain Costs More with the Inca Trail!
- When we buy the permit for the Inca Trail trek, we have to buy a Machu Picchu entrance with it. The government only sells the Inca Trail permits as a combined ticket with Machu Picchu entrance. It does not allow us to add on Huaynapicchu entrance with the combined permit.
- In order for our Inca Trail hikers to climb Huaynapicchu, we have to buy another entrance ticket to Machu Picchu combined with the Huaynapicchu entrance ticket. It is not possible to buy just a Huaynapicchu entrance ticket by itself!
- Salkantay Treks/Lares Treks and other alternative treks do not need an Inca Trail permit, thus we can just buy a Machu Picchu entrance combined with the Huaynapicchu entrance together. Thus it is less expensive!