Rainbow Mountain & Vinicunca Trek 2 Days / 1 Night
Rainbow Mountain Vinicunca Trek 2 Days 1 Night, During the trip you will enjoy an amazing night amongst some of the brightest stars you will ever see and a milky way so colorful it will leave you stunned. Our new route which includes a part of the Ausangate Trek, will truly take you off the beaten track; an adventure that will take your breath away constantly. With a combination of wild desert landscapes, glaciated peaks, rushing rivers and challenging mountain passes, everything seeming untouched and undiscovered.
- Duration: 2D/1N- camping
- Distance: 32km/ 20 miles
- Elevation: 4200m (13,200ft) – 5200m (17,000ft)
- Difficulty: moderate
- Group pricing available 2 + guests
By booking The Rainbow Mountain & Vinicunca Trek 2 Days / 1 Night, with Cusco Journeys you are choosing the best. Don’t believe us? Check out our reviews on Tripadvisor.
Day 1: Cusco – Qesiuno – Anata.
We will pick you up at your hotel at 4:30am and drive 3 hours to Quesiuno. While packing up our gear our chef will be preparing a hot breakfast to get you fueled up for the hike ahead of you. Our guide explain about the itinerary for the day and safety tips to ensure you are fully prepared for the next two days. The trek begins in a large green valley. You will see hundreds of alpacas, local farmers, and the beautiful Ausangate mountain looming in the distance- this is only a teaser for what is to come on your journey.
As you continue making your way on the trail you will begin to conquer the first pass of the trek Puccacocha pass. At around 16,000 feet, the pass sits just above Puccacocha lake, and the massive Ausangate mountain is directly in front of you, while a beautiful active glacier crashes into the lake below. After a successful climb we will stop around noon for lunch and to recharge your body for the remainder of the hike.
Our destination for the night is Anata, where we will enjoy a beautiful evening surrounded by jaw dropping landscape in the still of the Andes. As the sun sets we set up the dining tent with chairs for your group to relax and enjoy conversation while dinner is being prepared. This night you will see an unforgettable night sky full of constellations, shooting stars, and keep yourself warm with coca tea.
- Distance: 14km/ 8.7 miles
- Elevation: 4200m-5000m
- Hiking time: 5-6 hours
Day 2: Anata – Rainbow Mountain – Cusco.
Today is what you’ve been waiting for. Your chance to see the beautiful Rainbow Mountain; and the best part, you’re almost there. We’ll wake you up bright and early (time dependant on weather- usually between 5:00 am and 6:00 am) with coca tea delivered to your tent, and serve you a hearty breakfast to fuel you up for your final climb to Vinicunca (Rainbow Mountain). Upon arrival you can take all the time you want soaking in the amazing 360 degree vistas of the surrounding lands and explore the mountain itself. Take some time to yourself and really enjoy the beauty of nature around you- it truly is a magical place. The hike down will only take about three hours and here we will celebrate a successful journey, and enjoy lunch before departing back to Cusco (3 hours). Arrival time back in Cusco will depend on how long you want to spend on Rainbow Mountain, but we typically get back around 5:00 pm to 6:00 pm and drop you off at your hotel.
- Distance: 18km/ 11 miles
- Elevation: 5000m-5200m-4200m
- Hiking time: 6-7 hours
Note: This itinerary is subject to change without prior notice according to weather conditions, strikes, roadblocks, or other events which are beyond our control. We will always do our best to follow the itinerary as closely as possible.
Machu Picchu Extensions:
Rainbow Mountain and Ausangate treks do not include a final day at Machu Picchu. However, Cusco Journeys offers several Machu Picchu extensions that can be added either before or after your trek.
Our Machu Picchu Tour is an excellent way to relax in comfort after a beautiful yet challenging multi-day trek.
The Machu Picchu and Moray-Salt mine extension combines authentic, off the beaten path experiences along with a visit to Peru’s wonder of the world.
The Machu Picchu and Sacred Valley extension fits all the highlights of the area in a few quick days.
The Machu Picchu and Short inca trail 2 Days / 1 Night extension fits all the highlights of the area in a few quick days.
Customize Your Trip:
We provide package pricing for any Rainbow Mountain + Machu Picchu combo trip. Please inquire about additional packages if you do not see your desired package listed above.
*Pricing contingent on a minimum of two people
**Group pricing available for 4+ guests- please inquire
***Solo travelers can be matched with existing groups
- Trek briefing with your guide.
- Excellent English speaking tour guide
- Private tourist transport (minivan for 5 people, van for 12 people, or bus for 20 people)
- Explore: Checacuppe, Uchulluqllo lookout, Llamas, Alpacas and the Rainbow trek
- Ticket to the Rainbow Mountain.
- All pick-ups (pick up and drop off at your hotel)
- Horses or mules and indigenous horsemen to carry camping equipment: client tents, dining and cooking utensils, tents, table, stools, cooking gear, stove, gas container, cutlery, plates, food and fresh vegetables.
- Personal items up to 8 kg/16 lb. will be carried for you, so you just need to carry your day backpack with everything you will need during the day in your Rainbow Mountain & Vinicunca Trek.
- One cook
- Wake up with a cup of coca tea in your tent
- Meals: 1 Breakfast, 2 Lunches, 1 Dinner + 1 afternoon tea.
- Food includes pancakes, omelets, soups, fresh fruit, avocado, pasta, chicken, fish, and meat, rice, all rich in carbohydrates and suitable for trekking. (Vegetarian, vegan or special diet meals upon request) Rainbow Mountain & Vinicunca Trek
- 1 night camping; spacious tents and sleeping mat
- A duffle for personal items
- Buckets of hot water for washing in your tent every day
- Biodegradable soap and hand cleansing gel
- Oxygen tank & First aid kit
- All local taxes
- First breakfast and last dinner
- Sleeping bag, Bring a good one! four season is recommended.
- Trekking poles.
- Travel /Health / Emergency insurance
- Horseback for riding + horseman $85
- ** Tips for guide, cook and horse men
What you need to take:
- A good daypack: Eagle Creek Afar Backpack or an appropriate pack (to carry your personal belongings).
- Lighter trekking boots (with good ankle support)
- 1 pair of trekking pants (not jeans).
- 1 rain jacket (even if we are in dry season) Rainbow Mountain & Vinicunca Trek
- 1 warm/winter jacket / gloves, scarf, cap cold, thermal clothing full bod!
- 1 good sleeping bag liner that is super lightweight and easy to pack. Definitely does its job!
- Travel-size tissues and wet wipes–The air is cold and damp so your nose is going to run a lot. Everyone seems to run out of tissues by the end of the trek. In addition, most bathrooms do not have toilet paper (if you even get a bathroom), so wet wipes are key.
- Bring some meds to Rainbow Mountain & Vinicunca Trek.
- Iron tablets and pills for altitude sickness. Several people on the hike have varying degrees of altitude sickness and both of these remedies (in addition to the coca tea) are very helpful in alleviating the symptom Rainbow Mountain & Vinicunca Trek.
- Sun protection Rainbow Mountain & Vinicunca Trek cream (SPF 45 or higher recommended).
- Re-usable plastic or metal water container or a hydration pack such as Camelback Rainbow Mountain & Vinicunca Trek
- Toiletries: toothbrush, toothpaste/floss, shampoo/conditioner, brush/comb, Vaseline (for feet great for potential blisters), feminine hygiene products, deodorant, nail clippers/file/tweezers, spare glasses and/or prescription, mini-eyeglass repair kit, contact lenses if required and supplies, hand sanitizer etc.–and whatever else you need, but pack light.
- Plastic bags for dirty and wet clothes if it raining in the Rainbow Mountain & Vinicunca Trek
- A headlamp to navigate camp in the evenings and pre-dawn mornings with spare batteries
- Camera and film.
- Bandages or moleskin for the Rainbow Mountain & Vinicunca Trek
- Extra money for souvenirs, drinks, & tips for your staff
Permits are needed for your chosen start date. Tour prices are based on the number of people in a group. Prices are valid from March 2019 through January 2020. All prices quoted are $USD
Price: $320 per person
* We need a minimum of 3 people to run the tour. We guarantee that your tour will be limited to a maximum of 8 people.
Important: Price includes up to 8 kilos of your personal belongings to be carried by the mules (NO need of extra Porter hire!).
- Hiking poles – US$10.00
- Sleeping bag – US$10
- Sleeping bag Deluxe Package (+ Pillow & Liners) US$15.00
- Private Tent – US$10.00
Terms & Conditions
1.- Contract between the Client and Cusco Journeys & Adventures
- To secure a booking with Cusco Journeys & Adventures, the Client must deposit 30% of the entire price of the trip (minimum US$200). All flights (domestic and international) and UpGrades must be paid 100% in advance to secure spaces. The deposit is non-refundable. Clients booking by telephone, fax or email will be deemed to have read the booking conditions.
- A booking is accepted and becomes definite from the date Cusco Journeys & Adventures has received the deposit from the Client. It is at this point that a binding contract between Cusco Journeys & Adventures, LLC, and the Client comes into existence.
- The contract is made between Cusco Journeys & Adventures, LLC, and the Client, which includes all persons named on the booking form. The person signing the booking form warrants that he/she has full authority on behalf of all the persons whose names appear thereon and confirms that all such persons are fully aware of and accept these conditions.
- The balance of the amount due must be paid to Cusco Journeys & Adventures no later than 30 days before departure. In case of non-payment of the balance by the due date, Cusco Journeys & Adventures will treat the booking as cancelled by the Client.
- In the case of bookings made within 30 days of the departure date, the full amount of package price will be paid upon booking.
- Payment can either be made by wire transfer, direct deposit, or check. In case of a bank transfer, all wiring and transfer costs should be assumed by the Client.
- All prices are United States of America Dollar based.
- Our prices do not include Peruvian sales taxes. Those exempt from paying this tax must meet the legal standards. For an exemption from the IGV (General Sales Tax) the visitor (guest) must prove he or she meets the international treaty standards honored in Peru by showing a passport, driver’s license or national identity card. Please note that visitors who have stayed in Peru longer than 90 calendar days are no longer exempt from IGV (General Sales Tax). Please make sure that your identity documents are legible and note that the TAM (Andina Migration Card) cannot substitute a passport.
3.- Changes by the Client
Any changes to the original booking must be confirmed by the person signing the booking form. For any change by the Client to the itinerary after receiving a confirmed Travel Program from Cusco Journeys & Adventures, a US$50 changing fee will be charged plus any costs or charges which are incurred or levied by our suppliers as a result of the amendment. While every reasonable effort will be made to accommodate changes and additional requests, their availability cannot be guaranteed.
Services can be transferred from one client to another as long as there is availability and the providers’ conditions allow it.
4.- Substitution of Client
If any member of your party is prevented from traveling, it may be possible to transfer the booking to another suitable person, provided that written notice is given at least 30 days prior to departure. An administration fee of US$50 will be levied plus any costs imposed by Cusco Journeys & Adventures suppliers. In the case of certain tickets such as those for Machupicchu Site, Huayna Picchu mountain or for the Inca Trail, these must be purchased again as they cannot be transferred, then we need see the availability.
5.- Cancellation by the Client
The Client may cancel the booking at any time provided that the cancellation is communicated to Cusco Journeys & Adventures in writing. Deposit paid to reserve trip is non-refundable. Payments for flights, cruises, Machupicchu site, Inca Trail Trek and Train Tickets bookings are non-refundable due to airline, Peruvian goverment and operator policies. All other reservations cancelled less than 45 days prior to the departure date of the tour are subject to the following cancellation fees:
|Period Before Departure When Notification Is Received||Cancellation Fee As A Percentage Of The Refundable Services Price|
|8 Days or Less||100%|
In case part of a booking is cancelled, the remaining party may have to pay additional charges (e.g. under-occupancy, or single room supplements). In case of trip postponement, an administration fee of 15% of the trip price will be charged plus the amount already spent on non-refundable subcontracted services. The remaining amount may be used toward future travel with Cusco Journeys & Adventures.
6.- Changes and Cancellation by Cusco Journeys & Adventures
While Cusco Journeys & Adventures will use its best endeavors to operate all tours as advertised, by entering into this contract the Client accepts that it may prove necessary or advisable to vary or modify a tour itinerary or its contents due to prevailing local conditions. Cusco Journeys & Adventures reserves the right to cancel or change any of the facilities, services or prices (including flights, accommodation or other arrangements) at any time and to substitute alternative arrangements of comparable monetary value without compensation and accepts no liability for loss of enjoyment as a result of these changes.
If a major change is known to us at the time of the booking, the Client will be informed immediately. A major changed is defined as a change affecting at least one in three full tour days of the itinerary, or which materially affects the character of the Product in its entirety. If a major change becomes necessary after booking, Cusco Journeys & Adventures will inform the Clients as soon as reasonably possible.
When a major change is made, the Client will have the choice to accept the change of arrangements, to purchase any other available tour or to cancel the tour and obtain a full refund. This is providing that the major change is not because of force majeure.
Force majeure is war, threat of war, riots, civil strife, industrial dispute, terrorist activities, natural or nuclear disaster, fire or adverse weather conditions, technical or maintenance problems with transport, changes imposed by cancellation or rescheduling of flights by an airline, the alteration of airline or aircraft type, or other similar events beyond the control of Cusco Journeys & Adventures.
Cusco Journeys & Adventures is not liable for any charges in the event of a change – beyond their control – to the departure time or date of a tour, flight or other form of transport.
Should any price increase, Cusco Journeys & Adventures will absorb the price increase if the price increase is less than 5% of the total package price. If the increase is more than 5%, the client will be surcharged the difference.
8.- Passport, Visa and Vaccinations
It is the responsibility of the Client to be in possession of a valid passport, visa permits, inoculations and preventative medicines as may be required by the authorities of the visited countries for the duration of the tour. Information about these matters or related items is given in good faith but without responsibility on the part of Cusco Journeys & Adventures.
9.- Age, Fitness and Participation
All Clients are expected to assess that their physical fitness aligns with the requirements of the itinerary of their choosing prior to booking. Travelers with pre-existing medical conditions are advised to check with a healthcare professional before traveling on the chosen itinerary. No unaccompanied minors (those under 18 years of age) can be accepted on tours operated by Cusco Journeys & Adventures, however older teenagers may be considered provided they are accompanied by a parent or guardian who accepts full responsibility for the minor. Cusco Journeys & Adventures reserves the absolute right to decline a booking at their discretion. Clients agree to accept the authority and decisions of the employees of Cusco Journeys & Adventures, tour leaders and agents, while on the tour with Cusco Journeys & Adventures. If, in the opinion of such persons, the health or conduct of a Client before or after departure appears likely to endanger the safe, comfortable or happy progress of a tour, the Client may be excluded from all or part of the tour. In case of ill health Cusco Journeys & Adventures may make such arrangements as it sees fit and recover the costs thereof from the Client.
10.- Local laws
All participants in tours operated by Cusco Journeys & Adventures are expected to obey the laws and regulations of the countries visited and any failure to do so will relieve Cusco Journeys & Adventures of all obligations that they may otherwise have under these booking conditions.
11.- Illness or disability
Anyone suffering from illness or disability or undergoing treatment for any physical or medical condition must declare the true nature of such condition at the time of booking and arrange for the provision of any medication or other treatment which may be required during the tour. Failure to make such disclosure will constitute a breach of these booking conditions and result in such persons being excluded from the tour in which case all monies paid will be forfeit.
If the chosen holiday includes a cruise or excursion or transfer by boat of any sort, the Client must make it known at the time of booking if he/she is unable to swim. This will not prevent the Client from participating in the tour but will enable Cusco Journeys & Adventures to take additional precautions for the safety of the Client at such times as may be appropriate.
12.- Client has a Complaint
If the Client has a complaint about any of the tour arrangements, he/she must bring it to the attention of the tour leader or other representative of Cusco Journeys & Adventures at the appropriate time so that they may use their best endeavors to rectify the situation. It is only if Cusco Journeys & Adventures is made aware of any problems that there will be the opportunity to put things right. Making your complaint known to Cusco Journeys & Adventures as a problem arises during your trip will allow us to remedy the situation or facilitate compensation. Should the problem remain unsolved, a complaint must be made in writing to Cusco Journeys & Adventures within 28 days of the completion of the holiday.
13.- Flight Bookings
Cusco Journeys & Adventures will use its best endeavors to ensure that all flight prices are correct at the time that they are quoted. Airlines reserve the right to amend or withdraw fares without prior notice. Once a deposit is paid on an airfare, it guarantees that a booking is being held for you, but it DOES NOT GUARANTEE the fare. The fare can only be guaranteed when the flight booking has been paid in full and a ticket has been issued. Flight bookings cannot be transferred.
The flight times given by Cusco Journeys & Adventures are for general guidance only and are subject to change. Up-to-date flight times will be shown on the tickets. The Client must check the tickets very carefully immediately upon reception of the latest timings. Cusco Journeys & Adventures will endeavor to inform the Client as soon as possible in the event of any flight alteration. Details of airlines are also subject to change. Such alterations do not constitute a significant change to the trip arrangements and will therefore not be entitled to cancel without paying the normal charges as a result.
Cusco Journeys & Adventures cannot be held responsible for any delay to your flight whether this delay is caused by adverse weather conditions, the action of air traffic controllers, airport authorities or (local) governments, the rescheduling of flight times by the airline, mechanical breakdown, strike, industrial action or any other reason.
14.- Our responsibility
Cusco Journeys & Adventures cannot guarantee the accuracy of any hotel, resort or other leaflet which is not published by them but may be supplied as an additional service to the Client.
Cusco Journeys & Adventures accepts responsibility for ensuring that the vacation which the Client books with them is supplied as described in the final version of the travel program the Client will receive upon arrival and for ensuring that the services reach a reasonable standard.
Cusco Journeys & Adventures acts only in the capacity of an agent upon the legal conditions that, while exercising every possible precaution, it is not responsible for injury, illness, damage, loss, additional expenses, accidental delay, or other irregularities which may be caused either through willful or negligent acts or omissions made by the companies or individuals providing or engaged in transportation, accommodation or other services related to the accomplishment of the tour, or through natural disasters, social upheavals or other causes.