Titicaca Lake Tour 4 Days / 3 Nights
Titicaca Lake Tour 4 Days 3 Nights, is a fantastic way to explore Titicaca life. If you want to get a deeper insight into how the Aymara people of Titicaca live, then leave your hotel for a night and enjoy a highly rewarding homestay. Amantani islanders still live very traditionally and very simply. You can spend the night in one of their houses, and learn a bit more about life on this remote island. Combined with one of the great train journeys of the world, this makes for a fantastic and contrasting package.
Type Service: Group Service
Type Itinerary: Customize
Activities: Cultural & History, Family Friendly, Experiential Tourism
Destination: Route of the Sun by Andean Explorer, Puno, Lake Titicaca
- Cross the Altiplano on one of the Great Train Journeys of the World
- Spend a night with a local Aymara family on Amantani Island
- Visit the famous reed islands of Lake Titicaca
Day 1: Andean Explorer Train to Puno
Transfer from hotel to the train station. This spectacular rail journey begins in the historic Cusco, towards the south of the beautiful city of Puno on the shores of Lake Titicaca. You can choose among the carriages of the Andean Explorer to have the perfect opportunity to admire the beautiful scenery through the viewpoint of the car windows. The train begins a gentle climb to higher ground and cold. The magnificent Andean mountains dominate the first half of the trip looming over deep valleys and the meandering Rio Huatanay. Upon reaching the gentle plains is possible to see Andean vicuña and alpaca graze. The journey is interrupted at La Raya, obligatory stop to admire the scenery from the highest point of the route. The Andean Explorer involves you in an exquisitely area decorated with subtle, delicate style of the great Pullman trains of the twenties. It includes dining cars and a car-bar outdoor observatory. The Andean Explorer is one the most of luxurious and different way of travel between Cuzco and Lake Titicaca. Arrival to Puno aprox at 18:00hrs and transfer to hotel.
- Accommodation in Puno
Alternative travel options:
Tour Bus from Cusco to Puno.
On the way we’ll stop to visit the attractions this beautiful route has to offer. The first stop: Andahuaylillas for a visit to its beautiful chapel, then its Racchi, Temple of the Wiracocha god where the walls and narrow streets stand out. Then it’s lunch time and the opportunity to see the view at La Raya, natural border between Cusco and Puno. Before our final destination we will visit the in site Pucara Museum and a chance to get one of the local classic bull shaped ceramics. We will arrive in Puno at the end of the afternoon.
Day 2: Puno – Lake Titicaca Islands – Amantani Island.
After breakfast, we are picked up and transferred to the harbour to board the boat that will take us on a first stop to Uros Islands. These artificial islands are made by tying together totora reeds, which grow in the lake, and form the base of the islands. The totora reed is undoubtedly the life stay of the islanders, and is used to build huts, boats, make furniture and even serving as food, as the tip of the reed can be eaten. The islands are anchored to the bed of the lake, which is only 4m below the surface, to stop them from floating away. The islands have developed somewhat in recent years, and there is now a hospital, a school a hotel and even electricity on some of the islands. There are 45 floating islands in total, most of them relatively close to Puno, of which about 60% are visited by tourists.
After this visit, we continue on to Amantaní, an island with no roads, electricity or plumbing. A few solar panels were installed on a previous government initiative, pumping light into some of the houses. Apart from that, it remains blissfully untouched. The hills are corrugated with ancient terraces that are still maintained and used to grow staples such as corn, potatoes and grains. The terraces reach towards twin peaks that are crowned by two ruined temples from the Tiwanaku culture, Pachamama and Pachatata, Mother and Father Earth. Upon arrival, we are welcomed by the local people and accommodated at one of their cottages, affording a fantastic view of terraced farmland and the azure blue waters of Titicaca. We spend the rest of the day in the island; enjoy a magnificent sunset and a night dance with our hosts, with the rhythm of a lively band playing traditional Andean music.
B, L, D
Day 3: Amantani Island – Puno
After breakfast we depart from Amantani and continue by boat to the island of Taquile, the largest in the lake. Although being in an Aymara-speaking area, its 1200 inhabitants speak Quechua.
The island is essentially governed communally and is famous for its beautiful textiles, the UNESCO having proclaimed the textile art of Taquile as one of the 43 Masterpieces of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity. Weaving is carried on every day by men, women and children, their colorful clothes containing hidden messages about the social condition and marital status of the wearer. We enjoy lunch in a local restaurant before starting our three-hour return trip by boat to Puno.
Transfer and accommodation at the chosen hotel.
Day 4: Transfer to the airport or Bus terminal
At the scheduled time 1-hour bus transfers to Juliaca’s airport for flights to Arequipa or Lima. Or transfer to the bus terminal to take the Bus back to Cusco city or continue to Arequipa city, Colca or La Paz. Please see our extensions.
End of services.
Extension 1: Sillustani en route to the airport, Do not miss the chance to visit Sillustani on the way to the airport it is the most important archeological site of the region, and get impressed by the extraordinary landscapes and pre Inca architecture. Includes: Private Transport, English speaking guide & Entrances. Extra Price per person.
Extension 2: Direct Bus back to Cusco, Arequipa or La Paz. Depart at 7.30 am. Arrives in Cusco at 2:45pm approximately. Includes: Transfer to the Bus terminal & Bus Tickets
Extension 3: Bus to Chivay & Colca Depart at 6.30 am. Arrives at Chivay at 11:50am approximately. Includes: Transfer to the Bus terminal & Bus Tickets.
- Accommodation: 2 night(s) in hotel(s) in Puno, 1 night homestay in Amantani
- Excursions: Train from Cusco to Puno By andean explorer, Lake Titicaca
- Entrance fees to parks and cultural sights: Amantani, Uros and Taquile Islands
- Transfers: All airport transfers, Hotel pickup and drop-off, all transfers are assisted by English-speaking staff.
- Transport: minivan, on foot, boat
- Meals: According mentioned in the itinerary
- Local top quality English-speaking guides to accompany visits and excursions
- 24 hour support by our local staff.
Services not included:
- Airport taxes or visa fees. The tax for domestic flights within Peru is approximately US$7.00 per person
- Domestic air tickets
- Transfers in/out of the city of origin /destination
- Excess baggage charges
- Additional nights during the trip due to flight cancellations
- Alcoholic beverages or bottled water
- Insurance of any kind
- Phone calls, radio calls or messages
- Other items of personal nature
- Extra expenses originated in itinerary changes or others due to force majeure or other circumstances beyond ENIGMA’s control
What we recommend that you bring:
- Clothing: long trousers, convertible pants or shorts, long and short-sleeved T-shirts or shirts, cotton socks.
- Warm clothes for high altitude areas (Puno, 3800 msnm), especially at night, including sweaters / fleeces and a jacket.
- Rain gear or poncho (you can buy a basic one in Puno), especially if visiting in the months November to April.
- Comfortable footwear, trekking boots recommended.
- Hat or cap to protect you from the sun, cold and rain.
- Sun block (high factor).
- After-sun cream or hydrating cream for face and body.
- Personal toiletries and medications.
- Non-disposable canteen (Nalgene type) or water bottle to carry water on outings.
- Cash in soles and/or US$ for extras (souvenirs, beverages, etc)
- Original passport and passport photocopies.
Price per person:
Contact us, for prices. Thanks
This will depend on the amount of people coming to the tours and to the kind of accommodation.
If you wish to travel alone, you need to ask for a private tour, letting us know which date you wish to leave, and you must make your reservation a week ahead of time so that we can organize your tour.
Terms & Conditions
By booking or participating in a tour and any related products or services (a “Tour”) with Cusco Journeys, you agree to these Terms & Conditions.
- Your booking is confirmed and a contract exists when the Tour Operator or your travel agent issues a written confirmation after receipt of the applicable deposit amount. Please check your confirmation carefully and report any incorrect or incomplete information to the Tour Operator or authorized agent immediately. Please ensure that names are exactly as stated in the relevant passport.
- You will pay a deposit which is completely non-refundable in any situation. There are no exceptions.
- You will be required to show the original passport (not a copy) that you booked with, at the checkpoint to enter the Inca Trail. If you originally booked with an old passport and then renewed your passport, you must also bring your expired passport along with your new, valid passport to permit entry or they will refuse your entrance to the trail.
- The only acceptable ID to receive a Student Discount is your University Card with a clear expiration date that must be the same year as trek. IDs with expiry dates the following year, even though clearly valid, will not be accepted by the Peruvian government. You must submit a copy of this card at time of booking.
- Cancellations: In order to confirm this trip, a deposit of 40% is required per person at time of booking. The balance of the trip price is due 90 days before the departure date. Special holiday payment and cancellation terms may apply. Guests who must cancel their trip for any reason must do so in writing (we do not accept medical notes of any kind) as our out of pocket expenses are non-refundable to us.. Standard cancellations are subject to the following per-person penalties, based on number of days prior to departure:
ONCE BOOKED, DEPOSITS ARE NON-REFUNDABLE. CHART BELOW OUTLINES WHAT FURTHER FEES WILL BE DUE.
|91 days or more before departure||we will retain 50% of your deposit.|
|90 – 30 days before departure||we will retain 75% of the total tour cost.|
|29 – 0 days before departure||we will retain 100% of the total tour cost.|
Inca Trail Tours:
- Permits: Permits for the Inca Trail are in your name and can not be transferred to anyone else under any circumstances. Change of dates is also not possible once a permit has been purchased. Permits are non-refundable and non-transferable. The deposit will be forfeited. Please note that this is a regulation of the Peruvian government and not Cusco Journeys (or any agency).
- In extreme cases when the “Inca Trail to Machu Picchu” is declared closed for safety reasons, Cusco Journeys will replace your trek with an alternative trek.
- Those who booked PERMITS with a Student ID must bring that ID with them on the trek. If they fail to show this card to the Park Rangers, they will not be allowed entry onto the trail.
- You must advise Cusco Journeys of any medical problems or allergies you may have. You need to be in good physical health, and if your health is questionable, then you should consult a doctor. If you are over the age of 70 years old, then you will need to present us with a current good health medical certificate.
- You are responsible for assessing whether a Tour is suitable for you. You should consult your physician to confirm your fitness for travel and participation in any planned activities. You should seek your physician’s advice on vaccinations and medical precautions. The Tour Operator does not provide medical advice. It is your responsibility to assess the risks and requirements of each aspect of the Tour based on your own unique circumstances, limitations, fitness level and medical requirements.
- Cusco Journeys reserves the right to deny you permission to travel or participate in any aspect of a Tour at any time and at your own risk and expense where the Tour Operator determines that your physical or mental condition renders you unfit for travel or you represent a danger to yourself or others.
- Pregnancy is considered a medical condition and must be disclosed to the Tour Operator at the time of booking. The Tour Operator may refuse to carry pregnant women over 24 weeks. The Tour Operator may refuse to carry anyone with certain medical conditions if reasonable accommodation or alternatives cannot be arranged.
- It is strongly encouraged to purchase Travel Insurance to protect you in case of medical emergency or any tour cancellations.
Tours and Treks:
- All balances need to be paid in either cash, Western Union, Transfer Bank or PayPal (in full) prior to the briefing which will be held the night before your tour. Visa incurs a 5% service fee and if you need to use another card, it must be through PayPal which incurs a 5.5% service fee.
You must advise your guide if you wish to leave the group or the camping area for independent walks or sightseeing. If you are experiencing any problems with the services of the guide or tour, please advise the guide in that moment, so that he can resolve any problems.
- All Adventure Treks include transportation to Cusco. The return train route depends on train availability.
- If you become ill or injured on the trail and are unable to continue, a porter will be provided to accompany you back to an area with emergency assistance capabilities. Helicopter air lifts and medical assistance are at the expense of the trekker. If you are unable to complete the tour due to illness, we will assist you in meeting your group at Machu Picchu to recommence your tour at that point. There will be no refund of the original payment. However, we will prepare a document to certify illness which can be presented for your travel insurance.
- Cusco Journeys will take all reasonable care in providing to our clients avoidance of accident, illness, and loss of personal property, and will only employ suitably qualified staff. We accept responsibility for the actions of our own employees. Cusco Journeys cannot, however, be responsible for any action of third parties. You are totally responsible for your own personal property and rented equipment.
- Cusco Journeys does not take responsibility for unfavorable weather conditions, natural catastrophe, strikes, accidents, illness, injury, loss of personal ítems, etc. It is the client’s responsibility to carry insurance to cover these types of events. We reserve the right to modify or cancel the program due to any of the unforeseen conditions listed above.
- Cusco Journeys may modify your itinerary where reasonably required in its sole discretion.
- Group tours might be as large as 16 participants. Groups are open to everyone no matter skill or age. By accepting a Group Tour you acknowledge that others might change the speed and timing of the tour.
- All tours are done in English.
- Any costs, whether direct or incidental, incurred by the Customer as the result of delays caused by bad weather, trail conditions, river levels, road conditions, transportation delays, sickness, government intervention or other contingencies which are beyond the control of southern explorations will not be reimbursed.
Thank you so much for choosing Cusco Journeys!!!